
Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus is one of my favorite hymns. Some background information about it :
“’Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus” was written by a woman, Louisa M. R. Stead. Out of one of her darkest hours—the tragic drowning of her husband—this hymn was wrote.
Louisa Stead was born in England. She felt the call of God upon her life for missionary service. She arrived in America in 1871. In 1875, Louisa married a Mr. Stead, and to this union was born a daughter, Lily. When the child was four years of age, the family decided one day to enjoy the sunny beach at Long Island Sound, New York.
While eating their picnic lunch, they suddenly heard cries of help and spotted a drowning boy in the sea. Mr. Stead charged into the water. As often happens, however, the struggling boy pulled his rescuer under the water with him, and both drowned before the terrified eyes of wife and daughter.
And out of her struggle with God during the ensuing days, flowed these meaningful words—“Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus.”
—Adapted from Kenneth Osbeck
And out of her struggle with God during the ensuing days, flowed these meaningful words—“Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus.”
—Adapted from Kenneth Osbeck
Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus
(1) 'Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus,
Just to take Him at his word,
Just to rest upon His promise,
Just to know, "Thus saith the Lord."
CHORUS:
Jesus, Jesus, how I trust Him!
How I've proved Him o'er and o'er!
Jesus, Jesus, precious Jesus!
O for grace to trust Him more.
(2) How I love to trust in Jesus,
Just to trust His cleansing blood,
Just in simply faith to plunge me
'Neath the healing, cleansing flood!
(3) Yes, I've learned to trust in Jesus,
And from sin and self to cease.
Now from Jesus simply taking
Life and rest and joy and peace.
(4) I'm so glad I learned to trust Him,
precious Jesus, Savior, Friend;
And I know that He is with me,
He'll be with me to the end.
Have a very blessed Sunday ~






7 comments:
Thanks for sharing this dear, I love that precious song.
"I'm so glad I've learned to trust You, Savior, Friend..." How precious those words are to me! Thank you so much for this post Samantha. And, thank you for your sweet comment on my blog. I've been told by several that I should consider writing. I'm praying about it; please pray with me. I don't want to step off into something that isn't from the Lord. I love you! Have a wonderful Sunday!
Many hugs............
Diane
You also have a blessed Sunday. What a lovely post.
The Raggedy Girl
Often knowing the story behind a hymn makes it all the more sweet, doesn't it? Thank you for sharing that!
Oh, how I miss these precious old Hymns! Just today my Granddaughter Emilee and I were singing...Nothing but the blood of Jesus.
Thank you for the story behind that wonderful Hymn. He is my "Precious Jesus, Saviour, Friend."
~hugs~
Time and time again, God is glorified not just through our triumphs but mostly in our tragedies! So many people that I respect and admire in their Christian walk have had to endure some heartbreak of one kind or another!
The older I get, one truth is consistent. Our purpose is to become more like the image of Christ, His Beloved Son. The trials I endure will help me to accomplish that goal. While I may not like them and even resent them, ultimately, if I allow it, God draws me ever closer to Himself. I've had God reveal parts of His nature to me that I never knew existed! I doubt I would have known that if I haven't been dealing with this chronic illness for 5 years now! I hate the illness but I love what God has done through it!
Connie
Yes Constance,
The older I get I see our purpose is to become more like Christ. Thank you for this comment, God loves us so much, he gave his son, such love !
Post a Comment
Blessed by :