CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

3/28/2009

Its Pink Saturday !






Flamingos....What interesting PINK birds.


Some really neat facts about them, I had no idea until I read an article about them and decided to research these Pink creatures. I always enjoy watching them at the zoo


Parent flamingos do not regurgitate food for their young the way most birds do. They feed their nestling a liquid substance called 'crop milk', a secretion of the upper digestive tract stimulated by the hormone prolactin.



Both parents nurse their chick, and young flamingos feed on this milk, which also contains red and white blood cells, for about two months until their bills are developed enough to filter feed.


They are PINK because they eat shrimp !

Flamingos can swim, and flamingos can fly !


Hope you have a HAPPY PINK SATURDAY ! Thank you Beverly for hosting, her link is on my sidebar, drop by to see other great pink posts !

24 comments:

Eclectic Chic Style said...

I love your pink flamingo post!!! I too, am fascinated by these creatures when I visit the zoo, why? They're not really the prettiest animals at the zoo, or the cuddliest, I'm leaning towards the fact that they're pink, you think? LOL!!! Thank you for popping in on Pink Saturday and I hope you have a wonderful day!
♥ Teresa

Cyn said...

What interesting facts about flamingos. The chamber of commerce in my town has about 100 flamingos that you can "rent" for a special occasion. My pastor woke up on the morning of his 50th birthday with 50 plastic flamingos in his yard. All it takes is a phone call and someone will go to the requested home in the middle of the night and place them in the front yard. Now, I'll be able to think of these facts whenever I drive by a "flamingoed" yard.

Nancy said...

I love the pink flamingos. So many Florida memories for me. Happy Pink Saturday!

Jeanne said...

Hi Samantha, Having lived in Fl. pink flamingos were very common in Miami. They are great creatures to admire. I did not know how they fed their young. thanks for info.

Have a happy PS.

Hugs...Jeanne

Lori Lynn said...

AND their legs are on backwards! LOL! Their knees bend the opposite way from ours!
Have a ♥ filled Pink Saturday!

Unknown said...

Pink Flamingos! Classic Pink Saturday! :)

Have a great Pink Saturday!
~Liz

♥Mimi♥ said...

Thanks so much for the great post today. I just ♥ traveling from blog to blog...the photos, the crafts, the ideas...too fun!

Yours was especially fun this week. Thank you!

See you next week!

Denise said...

Awesome.

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Ahhhhhhhhh..........PINK flamingos......my little grandson just drew a picture of them. I should have posted that for Pink Saturday! :-)

Have a wonderful weekend..

Blessings,
Spencer

Anonymous said...

Pink flamingos are so pretty. I saw some at the San Diego Zoo and loved them. Happy PS.
~Sue~

Amy @ Keep'n The SunnySide said...

Great flamingo pics! Neat post. Happy PS!

Shirley said...

They really are beautiful creatures. Have a happy Pink Saturday.

Anonymous said...

That is very interesting...I never knew that. But, of course, I seem to be learning alot of new things from the "pink gals".

Happy Pink Saturday.

Kris

Claudia said...

Flamingos are so beautiful! Thanks for all the interesting facts! Happy Pink Saturday!

Diane said...

I had no idea! Thanks for the education as well as the visit! When I see pink flamingos now, I always think of Katie and her friend Jennifer, who lost her life much too early to breast cancer. Katie and other of Jennifer's friends planted plastic pink flamingos in neighbors yards with notes to donate to the cancer drive in order to have their birds removed! They raised a substantial amount of money by doing this and had such a great time together while helping a friend in her last days. Thanks for today's post. It reminded me how very blessed I am! Love you!

Diane

Lisa said...

Happy Pink Saturday! Thank you for introducing me to Prayers for Little Angels. Wow what a blog to keep. Your blog is great. I'll keep looking. Hugs and blessings! Lisa

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Samantha,
Happy Pink Saturday! That is very interesting about the flamingo. I never knew any of that. Thanks for sharing and thank you for your prayers. I truly appreciate them. Enjoy your weekend.

Blessings,
Sandi

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Happy Pink Saturday ~ Susan

Linda said...

Happy Pink Saturday! I love your flamingos. I used to love to watch them at the Honolulu Zoo when I lived there!

Linda

Suzie Button said...

There's so much we just don't know,isn't there? Thanks for sharing more about pink flamingos with us! Hope you had a great Pink Saturday! Suzie

Deanna said...

Loved the information on the cute little critters! I had no idea that they were pink because of the shrimp they eat. Amazing....!

¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*´¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ Happy Pink Saturday
Deanna :D

Susan from The T-Cozy said...

Thank you for your warm welcome to my first Pink Saturday. Love those flamingos!

Char said...

It's funny because when I tell people why they are pink, no one believes me!! So fun, what great birds they are too, Happy Pink Saturday, Char

HiHo said...

maybe too much information....eeekkk. To bad we can't get a little pink when eating shrimp, I'm pretty white from this never ending winter,LOL.
happy pink, Heidi

Post a Comment

Blessed by :