CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

1/01/2010


HAPPY NEW YEARS 2010 !



Today we will follow our family southern tradition by eating black-eyed peas, greens and pork. The turnip greens and collards are, of course, green .The color of our paper money, which represents prosperity for the new year.
Pork is symbolic of progress, as the pig is, supposedly, the only animal that eats while it is moving forward.
Black Eyed peas are a symbol of good luck.
This is a long time southern new years day meal.



Glory to God in highest heaven,
Who unto man His Son hath given;
While angels sing with tender mirth,
A glad new year to all the earth.
~ Martin Luther




I pray you have a blessed, safe New Years Day !











11 comments:

Parsley said...

Happy New Year! Hope you have a great weekend.

From the Heart said...

Amen. I never knew what the foods my mother always cooked meant. I have never done them, but I understand that's what we're having for dinner tonight at my youngest daughter's home. Today is her husband's birthday. The year he was born he was the second baby but the first boy for that day. Of course the first one born always got the gifts. My daughter's birthday is January 16th.

Thanks for visiting my blog today. Pray you will have a full year of peace, joy and happiness.

Cathy said...

I am going up to the K&W for some take out collards and Black Eyed peas. No pork for me though. Wishing you a Blessed Happy New Year, sweet friend ~

Andrea said...

Happy New Year!
Blessings and hugs,
andrea

Joyfull said...

The meal sounds delicious!! Being a southern girl, I have heard of this traditional meal for years, but never heard the "whys" of it! Thanks for sharing. Happy New Year!

Trish said...

Happy New year Dear Friend! I was born in Tennessee and raised by a Southern Mama and Daddy but never heard this tradition...love it! My cousin says that Cracker Barrel serves free Black-eyed peas for New Years...this must be why!

Anonymous said...

Hello dear friend!

Have a wonderful and blessed new year!

Enjoy your meal :-)

maria

Jaime Kubik said...

Happy New Year! Thank you for visiting my blog. I read your profile and noticed that you love to cook. I married into a family of cooks and my sister-in-law recently turned me on to The Pioneer Woman. You might check her website out at www.thepioneerwoman.com. Hope you enjoy! God bless you this new year!

Pam said...

Happy New Year, Samantha! I hope it is blessed. : )
Hugs,
Pa,

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Sounds perfect, hope it was wonderful.

GranthamLynn said...

Hope your New Year has started off wonderful.
I wanted to invite you to come over I am starting Trade Day Tuesdays next week. I have a post up telling all about it.
Come over and trade!
Have a Blessed Week,
Sherry

Post a Comment

Blessed by :